Show that you Give a Shuck by joining St. John’s Community Services & Guinness for a night of delightful pairings, all for a good cause.

Who?

St. John’s Community Services:

One of DC’s oldest nonprofit organizations, SJCS serves our most vulnerable communities, including the developmentally disabled, elderly, and homeless. We ensure every person has the right and opportunity to live their best life by:

  • Providing safe spaces through shelter, housing, & in-home support
  • Cultivating self-sufficiency and independence through job training, enabling technology, & life skills coaching
  • Promoting community engagement through employment, volunteerism, & recreation
  • Fostering self-expression and entrepreneurship through arts education programs

We haven’t stuck around for 150 years by sitting still—SJCS prides itself on constantly evolving. We are democratizing technologies of convenience, providing independence to those who may have previously required 24-hour care. Newly launching this November is an initiative to serve the growing population of homeless youth, taking special care to meet the needs of the LGBTQ community—40% of this group.

Guinness:

A brand that needs no introduction, SJCS has partnered with the creative folks right here in our community, specifically the world-class, and Maryland-based, Open Gate Brewery & Barrel House.

What?

Our inaugural oyster and brew fest, where featured restaurants and food outlets work collaboratively with the master brewers at the Guinness Open Gate Brewery to build unique beer and oyster pairings for you to savor. Apart from these pairings, enjoy small plates from The Wharf restaurants and food outlets, beer and whiskey tastings by Guinness, and silent auction giveaways, including captivating artwork from our ART Options program.

Featured Restaurants

  • Brighton
  • La Vie
  • Kaliwa
  • Kirwan’s on the Wharf
  • …and more coming soon!

The Event

Led by the Guinness brewmasters, our guests will sample a number of unique pairings and have the opportunity to sample exclusive Guinness brews not available anywhere else. Your ticket also includes access to unlimited Guinness pours.

Also featured at the event is a silent auction featuring Guinness and SJCS swag, and artwork displayed for sale from our ART Options program.

100% of ticket sales go to SJCS, and directly support our services in DC, MD, and VA. All artwork on display from our artists is for sale, with 80% of the proceeds going directly to the artists themselves and the remaining 20% going toward supplies for our ART Options program.

When?

Thursday, November 21st.

The event runs from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Come taste some exclusive Guinness brews you won’t find anywhere else, expertly paired with local fare by the Guinness brewers.

Where?

Meet us at The Wharf, specifically in the Dockmaster Building at the end of the District Pier.

Why?

Because you believe every person in our community, regardless of circumstances, should have the right and opportunity to live their best life. Help us support those of our neighbors who need help every single day, by simply enjoying a great evening with friends alongside some clever and delicious pairings.

St. John’s Community Services: Giving a Shuck about People Since 1868